A person’s view of him or herself can be negatively affected by TBI. Feelings of low self-esteem go hand in hand with depression.
What you might see:
- Negative self-statements: “I am worthless,” “I’ll never be normal again,” “How can you love me like this?”
- Less interest in personal appearance
- Social withdrawal
How you can help:
- Encourage your family member to express his or her feelings. Try to redirect the person to more positive thoughts.
- Encourage your family member to spend time with others. Encourage him or her to take part in independent activities.
- Help your family member to set realistic, attainable goals. Help him or her to choose activities that he or she can successfully complete.