Sometimes it’s hard for a person with TBI to analyze a situation and understand what could happen.
What you might see:
- Inappropriate decisions; potentially harmful decisions
- Difficulty reasoning
- Ineffective problem solving
How you can help:
- Help your service member to use effective problem-solving skills:
- Identify the problem. If the problem has many parts, break it down into one problem at a time.
- Brainstorm possible solutions together. Think of as many possibilities as you can.
- Evaluate the alternatives. Consider the pros and cons of each possibility.
- Choose a solution — the one that seems to fit best.
- Role play with your service member/veteran to prepare him or her for various situations.
- Have him or her try the solution out.
- Evaluate the solution. If it didn’t work, try another solution until he or she finds the one that works.