The Caregiver's Journey

Federal Civil Service

  • If your family member with TBI is your spouse or child who is a totally disabled, retired, or separated  member of the Armed Forces (has been retired with a disability rating at the time of retirement of 100 percent; or retired/separated from the Armed Forces with a disability rating of 100 percent from the Department of Veterans Affairs), you are eligible for expedited recruitment and selection for federal civil service positions.
  • You will be given priority in Labor Department-funded employment and training programs, as well as preference in federal hiring.
  • You can search for a federal civil service position by contacting a One Stop Career Center. (Find the nearest one at Introduce yourself as the spouse of a recently disabled veteran. Ask to speak with a work force specialist. This individual can tell you about job opportunities in your area.